CCW Reference Information


Washoe County Sheriffs Office - Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW) General Information 

Washoe County Sheriffs Office - Frequently Asked Questions regarding CCWs

2/2018 Reminders & Clarifications from Washoe County Sheriffs Office 

  • Medical marijuana use as well as recreational marijuana use still prohibits a person from possessing or applying for a CCW.   A medical marijuana card holder cannot apply for a CCW until one year after the expiration date of their MMR card.  Marijuana is still federally illegal either with a card or with recreational use, so any use in relation to guns is illegal.
  • The minimum time requirements are 8 hours minimum for a new permit, 4 hours for a renewal permit.  These times are a MINIMUM, not a suggestion.  These times are set for by the NVSCA to satisfy the requirements of Nevada CCW instruction. *
    * Please note: Our new permit class also allows students to apply for the Utah CCW (when combined with NV CCW offers the permit holder a carry permit in a majority of states). Due to regulations, this increases our class time to our current schedule.
  • To be a military exclusion to the 21 years of age requirement to apply for a CCW, the applicant must be able to product an active military ID card.  Also, if their driver’s license is a non-Nevada driver’s license they must be able to product a LES  (Leave and Earnings Statement) from their military branch showing their claimed local address.


  • Non-resident applicants must apply in the county that they took the class in.  
  • Residents of Nevada can take the class in any county in Nevada, but must apply in the county of their residence.

Our CCW class also allows students to apply for the Oregon Concealed Carry Permit.  You will need to request an application from the Sheriff’s Office you wish to visit to complete the application process. Currently, we know of two counties that issue Non-Resident CCW permits.

Nevada Department of Public Safety: Out-Of-State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

CCW Reciprocity Map  (Please be aware we cannot verify accuracy.)

When travelling, we recommend you contact the County Sheriff - CCW Division or the State Attorney General in writing 4-6 weeks prior to travel. We don't recommend you rely on internet search results as rules can change without notice.

Please keep in mind there is a difference between Concealed Carry Reciprocity and Concealed Carry Recognition.   Reciprocity is an agreement between two states whereas each state honors the other state’s concealed carry permit.  Recognition is where one state recognizes another, but the reverse is not true.